About Me

South Wales, United Kingdom
Im forty something! Married, mum to two wonderful daughters, both very different, both very special. Im originally from Edinburgh but have spent almost 2/3rds of my life in South Wales now and so am probably as much Welsh (if not more) than Scottish. Until the age of 16 (when I left Edinburgh) I spent a lot of time with Great uncles and aunts in East and West Lothian,but also with family and friends in the centre of the city. So had an equal country and city upbringing. I would spend hours walking in the Pentland hills (with family, friends, alone), hours in the countryside, hours in the dress shops in town with my friends, trying on endless outfits I couldnt afford, hours dreaming that I would marry Paul Michael Glaser (Starsky!!) and definitely hours planning that once I had made it as an actress (which is why Paul would fall madly in love with me) I would learn to fly a plane, hopefully it would help with my developing fear of heights, star in a west end show, have a hit single and buy a ranch somewhere that Paul and I could hear the wolves howling in the distance. Then I had dreams! Read the rest of my story starting at Broken Dreams

Saturday 18 June 2011

Pen y Fan ... again

This morning all four of us ventured up the path from the Pont ar Daf car park towards Pen y Fan.  It was the first time that we managed to persuade Becky to come with us. As we set of it was cool, slightly overcast, but we could see Corn Du and Pen y Fan clearly.  'B' and I let Peter and Sarah head off ahead of us.  I remember all too well attempting this path for the first time and I knew that B's hypermobility was going to have some impact on her walking, that she was going to struggle at some so I felt it was easier to let the other two strive ahead.  She made a great start, not too fast and she managed a good third of the way up before she was in obvious discomfort.  We had paused a few times but as we caught up with the other two I could see that she was getting despondant.  We swapped walking partners for a little while which proved to be a disaster.  As much as these two are great friends, they are sisters, and sisters ... well ... are sisters.  Sarah's happy mood and 'encouraging' chatter drove her up the wall.  A cry went up to basically ... 'take her away please!' So Peter walked with her a little while and Sarah and I forged ahead.  We stopped and looked back and we could see Peter waving at us.  B had given up, couldnt face going any further. We waited whilst he caught us up and took the car keys and he and B headed back down.  Sarah and I carried out but by this time I felt awful at carrying on without her and the rain was coming in so we headed back down ... to be met by them coming back up (this sound familiar ... like my first attempt).  By now the rain was driving into the four of us and we stopped for a few minutes to discuss 'up' or 'down'?  Down was the choice. 

So down we came and by the time we were almost at the bottom the sun was out and the day was beautiful again.  Typical.

Anyway, I fully expected B to say ... im not doing that again ... BUT she said ... I will do it, I will get to the top ... and then im never doing it again LOL ... attah girl!

Sarah struggled as well, at some points, as she has an ongoing knee problem.  She doesnt find it as hard as B does, but my word I have seen her in some pain as well. She gets a 'dizzy' problem too and gets light headed and then we have to feed her. Its a bit like feeding a chick LOL ... or a Furby .. remember they used to say 'Huuunggryyyy' when they needed fed ... thats Sarah .. its normally a 'Oh oh, cant see, need food' type thing.  Aparently its because she is so tall! Hmmmm. 

But I am so delighted that they try, especially that B finally tried; I know what its like to try to do things like that when things can hurt, when joints dont do what you want them to.  Neither have arthritis, thank god,  and I need to help them to keep active so hopefully they never will, but I need them also to know that im incredibly proud of there efforts and that, for Becky, that when she does finally get up that hill ... im going to be there with her.

2 comments:

  1. Well done to your daughters and for B electing to go and try again and GET there next time. A shame the weather wasn't more helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, well I was going to try to go today but I wasnt feeling that well today, bit fluey, so didnt go far (so she got out of that LOL).

    ReplyDelete