About Me

South Wales, United Kingdom
Im forty something! Married, mum to two wonderful daughters, both very different, both very special. Im originally from Edinburgh but have spent almost 2/3rds of my life in South Wales now and so am probably as much Welsh (if not more) than Scottish. Until the age of 16 (when I left Edinburgh) I spent a lot of time with Great uncles and aunts in East and West Lothian,but also with family and friends in the centre of the city. So had an equal country and city upbringing. I would spend hours walking in the Pentland hills (with family, friends, alone), hours in the countryside, hours in the dress shops in town with my friends, trying on endless outfits I couldnt afford, hours dreaming that I would marry Paul Michael Glaser (Starsky!!) and definitely hours planning that once I had made it as an actress (which is why Paul would fall madly in love with me) I would learn to fly a plane, hopefully it would help with my developing fear of heights, star in a west end show, have a hit single and buy a ranch somewhere that Paul and I could hear the wolves howling in the distance. Then I had dreams! Read the rest of my story starting at Broken Dreams

Sunday 19 June 2011

Hidden treasures

After a day of feeling grotty, and wishing I had been hungover, then I at least I would have known why I felt so horrible, of food shopping, then sleeping (I rarely sleep during the day) I was persuaded to go for a walk to chase the sunset. 

Despite living here for 26 years Peter only recently found this path around the edge of one of the hills here and tonight was my first time.  It was lovely, amazing views, loads of blackberry bushes. an amazing Oak and Hawthorn hedge, millions of midges (ouch, ouch, ouch!, sadly they REALLY like me).  As we were watching the sunset something caught my eye, at first I thought it was a cat but soon realised it was a fox.  The Peter spotted a second one but it ran off really quickly.  It was a delightful surprise. The first one had stopped dead still however, and just stared at us! It didnt move for about 5 minutes. It was wonderful, as if it was daring us to move towards it.  Of course we didnt, but moved further up the path, when we spotted the other one, just its head, peeping over the brow of the hill at us.


The sun didnt set in a blaze of glory, more sank down behind Drummau, quietly, with no fuss, beautiful all the same. So it was a short but lovely walk and I was really glad that I had been persuaded to go, again being outside made things seem so much better.


The walk back brought one more surprise.  Something I had never noticed.  A small group of trees which look like a Tortoise making his way slowly up the hill.  It seemed appropriate that this is actually on one of the hills behind our house, reminding me of me.  Of slowly making my way up those hills, those mountains.  Reminding me that I will get there, what ever I decide to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment