About Me

South Wales, United Kingdom
Im forty something! Married, mum to two wonderful daughters, both very different, both very special. Im originally from Edinburgh but have spent almost 2/3rds of my life in South Wales now and so am probably as much Welsh (if not more) than Scottish. Until the age of 16 (when I left Edinburgh) I spent a lot of time with Great uncles and aunts in East and West Lothian,but also with family and friends in the centre of the city. So had an equal country and city upbringing. I would spend hours walking in the Pentland hills (with family, friends, alone), hours in the countryside, hours in the dress shops in town with my friends, trying on endless outfits I couldnt afford, hours dreaming that I would marry Paul Michael Glaser (Starsky!!) and definitely hours planning that once I had made it as an actress (which is why Paul would fall madly in love with me) I would learn to fly a plane, hopefully it would help with my developing fear of heights, star in a west end show, have a hit single and buy a ranch somewhere that Paul and I could hear the wolves howling in the distance. Then I had dreams! Read the rest of my story starting at Broken Dreams

Sunday 29 April 2012

Longer Steps

Yesterday I received an email - my regular Countryfile Magazine email - I spent a while looking at the various articles, read that this Sunday's programme will be talking about Suffolk, particularly the area around Aldeburgh, looked at the various walks they were promoting this time and then an advert popped up which really caught my eye.

It was for the British Heart Foundation, the first thing I saw was footprints, the next was the words 'Leeds to Skipton' (I love Yorkshire), but it was a rolling advert with the pages changing and what I had missed was the words 'Hadrians Wall' - somewhere Ive always wanted to see and walk a section of - now what made me click at that point was certainly a moment of madness, simply because my head was already telling me 'dont be daft, it will be a marathon distance, you'd be mad', but ........ click I did and there it was - 'support the BHF by walking a 10 mile section of the wall' or words similar to that. 

Actually what it says is 'This trail is not for the timid'.  Well I dont think I've been timid for a while now,  so .... I registered. 

Its in September, so actually it could be very cold, wet, possibility of snow or ice, definitely windy, in fact all round exposed! Even a mile in those conditions would be miserable.  So I comfort myself that this IS a challenge.  Okay so its not a marathon distance (though the Stonehenge to Avebury memory walk is still on my list) but i'll still do my best to raise as much as I can and keep my fingers crossed for a warmish, dry September.

And of course the BHF is an organisation Ive supported for a long time.  Ever since 1997 in fact, when my dad died from a massive heart attack.  It was quick, it was a shock and he was only 58, far too soon.  His own father had suffered from 'flutterings of the heart' during a routine operation before he was to be demobed (1945) and died on the table.  My grandfather, on my mum's side, had to have a triple bypass and my gran, (dads mum) also died from a heart attack but at least at 80.

So you see im surrounded by the problem.  So it was time.  Last year I raised money for Cancer Research by doing the Race for Life twice, and also by completing a Memory Walk for the Alzheimers Org. 

So this year im going to follow my heart and do something good for my own heart, something good for others' hearts and something good for the organisation.  I'll have the exercise, not only on the day but before as I prepare.  The organisation will get the advertising and the money which will help educate some and assist others with existing problems. And its good for the soul, being outside, knowing you are doing something to help others and at the same time helping yourself in endless ways.  Though im sure, when I hit mile 8 or 9 that I will be questioning my sanity at doing such a thing and grumbling. But hey, thats then!

For the moment im really pleased to be getting the chance to achieve an ambition as well as help the BHF.

My hubby is going to walk with me and is really chuffed to be getting to walk part of the wall too.  We had a bit of a wobble when he realised that we should wear red! He doesnt do red (odd I know, since he is a Welshman LOL) but he's going to at least carry the tshirt LOL.

So the link to donate is below.  Any small amount would be appreciated but, like it says on our page, if you cant spare the cash, please spare some things you no longer need and take them to your nearest BHF charity shop so they can raise money that way.  My nearest one is in Neath. Im sure there will be one not far from you too.

So thank you in advance.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/madminiogs

No comments:

Post a Comment