About Me

South Wales, United Kingdom
Im forty something! Married, mum to two wonderful daughters, both very different, both very special. Im originally from Edinburgh but have spent almost 2/3rds of my life in South Wales now and so am probably as much Welsh (if not more) than Scottish. Until the age of 16 (when I left Edinburgh) I spent a lot of time with Great uncles and aunts in East and West Lothian,but also with family and friends in the centre of the city. So had an equal country and city upbringing. I would spend hours walking in the Pentland hills (with family, friends, alone), hours in the countryside, hours in the dress shops in town with my friends, trying on endless outfits I couldnt afford, hours dreaming that I would marry Paul Michael Glaser (Starsky!!) and definitely hours planning that once I had made it as an actress (which is why Paul would fall madly in love with me) I would learn to fly a plane, hopefully it would help with my developing fear of heights, star in a west end show, have a hit single and buy a ranch somewhere that Paul and I could hear the wolves howling in the distance. Then I had dreams! Read the rest of my story starting at Broken Dreams

Friday 22 April 2011

Finally! 'Just like riding a bike'

At last I managed to make time to actually try out my new Trek 30 bike! It took us a while to sort out the bike rack so we could drive some where so I could have a go, off road, so to speak.  I had absolutely no idea what my balance was going be like so I wasnt about to risk the lives of the general public by attempting to go out on the road. ;-)

We went up to the Rhyslyn car park in Pontrhydyfen.  I had to have the gears explained to me (again ... I'm so sorry Pete! but my excuse is I'm a visual / kinesthetic learner! Show me then let me do it!) but by George (actually by Pete LOL) I think ... I've got it! (Least I hope I have).

I couldnt believe how nervous I was! Scared even.  Daft I know but its been years!

So, after much faffing about,  it was with deep breathes and the hope that I wouldnt end up with skinned knees (like a child) that I finally had a go!

I was delighted to find that its totally true, you dont forget, its 'Just like riding a bike'.  Oh there were a couple of wobbles in the first few seconds but then after that it was great.  I rode down toward to road and across the old aquaduct, turned round and back to the car.  We did a few adjustments, seat height etc and then we went up the forest road past the bottom of 'The Wall'. (where the temptation was just to have photo at the bottom and pretend, but drat the luck - no camera LOL) and then on a bit further.  Its just the slightest of slopes going up but we went far enough up so that eventually there was a nice long run, sloping downhill .... so ......
Woooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Its a great bike, its amazing to be able to do this again, its another tick for me and I cant wait to go out again.


No comments:

Post a Comment